Monday, November 15, 2010

My New "Sponsor A Child" Charity


Several years ago I had, what I consider to be, a disappointing experience with a "Sponsor a Child" Charity. Soon after agreeing to sponsor a child with them, I discovered that the CEO of the charity was making nearly half a million dollars a year. Now while many people are fine with this, I was devastated. I had signed up to help hungry children not to help executives to live in luxury. However, I felt that I had made a commitment to the child and decided to continue. Some years later, my sponsored child made a decision to leave the program. I immediately stopped and began a search for a sponsor a child organization which worked in a way that I was comfortable with.

This time, I did my research before chosing a charity to sponsor a child.

I discovered a charity called the Nepal Youth Foundation. The Nepal Youth Foundation was founded by an amazing woman named Olga Murray. Olga is so renowned for her work in Nepal that in 2001 she was a recipient of Dalai Lama's "Unsung Heroes of Compassion Award". Olga and her work with the NYF have also been featured on Oprah Winfrey. Olga lives part time in Nepal and to some she is known as, the "Mother Theresa of Nepal". Unlike the head of my previous charity, Olga does not take a penny from the Charity. In fact, Olga donates not only most of her life, but also much of her personal wealth to the charity. NYF is rated a "four star" charity, the highest rating possible, by Charity Navigator, one of the most important Charity Review organizations in the USA.

I knew quickly that the Nepal Youth Foundation was for me. Read more about why I have chosen to sponsor a child with the NYF.

Now I am working on getting the NYF to become a Squidoo Charity so I can donate my lens earnings to them....one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment