Friday, September 9, 2011

Squidoo Tips and Tricks #4: Is Your Lens Indexed?

For the first couple of years that I made Squidoo lenses, I just made them and hoped that traffic would come. Some lenses did get traffic and some got ZILCH (ie, nothing). I was puzzled that many of them were simply ignored by Google. Google is king and if your lens is not getting traffic from Google, it is doomed.

To my surprise, I soon discovered that some of my lenses were not only ignored by Google, they were not even indexed! That means, that Google did not even know some of my lenses existed. How do you know if your lens is indexed by Google? The best way is to copy and paste a single line from your lens and put it into Google with quotations around it. For example, I recently wrote a lens called What To Do About Cold Feet? The first sentence is: There are many reasons why feet are always cold.. If you put that sentence into Google like this:

"There are many reasons why feet are always cold"

You should get TWO hits, first my lens and sencond this blog post. If you do that with your lens and nothing comes up...WHOOPS...your lens is not indexed and it will NEVER get Google traffic, not a good thing.

What is the best way to get your lenses indexed? In my experience, the best way to make sure your lens is indexed is to give it a quality link, the more links, the better. I find a link from a blog to be one of the best ways to get a link to a Squidoo lens and for that reason, I write a post from this blog for nearly every lens that I create. If you do not have a blog, that might be a good reason to start one. If you are a Squidoo Giant, you are invited to participate in this blog. Read more about that in this lens about Valley of The Giants.

This is my forth in the series of Squidoo Tips and Tricks. I am looking for your feedback. Are these tips and tricks helpful? Is there anything else you would like to see discussed in future tips and tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment