Monday, January 19, 2009

How to resolve a quarrel online

I got into a twitter argument with a fellow giant squid yesterday (no, I'm not going to name names, if you insist on knowing, I suggest you search twitter). I ended up saying sorry through e-mail AND twitter (publicly). I don't know whether I handled it well, but at least I tried (right?).

I tried following my own advice as I gave it here in my How To Resolve a Quarrel through e-mail lens. My first advice however is to solve this kind of thing offline. Scratch that on squidoo: I don't even have any body's home phone number, and calling outside the country is perhaps not really necessary? One hopes.

So the next piece of advice: just apologize, don't make it too long. I managed to limit myself to 5 sentences. I did not let it sit however. I just wrote and send. Time will tell whether I was right to. The thing was, this time, I wasn't angry. Just sad at the misunderstanding and bad feeling that had been created.

Hope you all liked my first post for the Valley of the giants?

4 comments:

  1. Katinka, you can never go wrong by offering an apology. The easy way would be to ignore the offense and let a wedge form between friends. I'm glad you posted this, because I needed the reminder that time passes quickly, life is too short, and it's a good thing to clear up misunderstandings quickly. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a lens! And awesome job building the lens.

    Keywords and phrases related to using these tips for business will be sure to bring in more targeted readers.

    ~Kimberly
    Community & Charity Organizer on Squidoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Business - that's a good idea. Thanks Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seedplanter: I wish that were true. apologies on paper CAN go wrong. I know, I've seen it happen (with one of my own apologies).

    ReplyDelete